Thursday 7 November 2013

5/11/13 life drawing & Digital processes






This week I brought a watercolours set with me to evening lifeclass. Mostly because it's been a long time since I've worked brush in hand, but also because I'd never used that particular medium for quick, loose drawings. Certainly got some nice marks, but I need to invest in a wider brush, and less absorbent paper- I was looking for a messier more of a wash kind of effect, but the brush was too small and the card too quick to soak up the water. At the start, I tried to get the gesture down in conte first, then paint the volume/weight in with the w/colours, but this didn't really work out in the time we had, so I restricted my palette (cobalt and crimson) and left the conte out of the process. One step, no longer evident was drawing everything pretty quickly with water before putting down paint, then adding pigment to diffuse in the wet card.

This morning we had a workshop class on refining digital practice- starting with a quick thumbnail and speedily working it up to a firm idea, but not getting chained into details- 20 minutes spent, tops. 
I went to an old idea I had during the summer for the practice thumb, the key principles being a clear sense of depth/perspective, solid composition, and quickly using gradients to try out different colour palettes for the potential painting. 

-Sam

Sam Cuddy Artist

Alumni of Aberystwyth and Teesside Univeristies, now fulltime member of the Belfast Printworkshop. One day hopes to travel around Japan!

No comments:

Post a Comment