Monday 7 October 2013

Design Brief: Blue Beetle rework day 1




Today I got my first brief from Nigel- To take Ditko's (dorky) 1960's version of the Blue Beetle, and re-imagine it as a concept for a live action film for an adult audience. It also must have some kind of Egyptian twist to it. And we cannot draw ideas from the DC/more recent blue beetles. We've got 3 days to come up with as many variations and ideas- not finished illustrations- as we can. Designs for the character, his flying beetle vehicle and his gun (optional) are specified on the brief.

Starting off by brainstorming out some things in my sketchbook at Southfields during lunch. A nice twist on this brief is that it isn't too constricting- the setting isn't described at all, nor does it specify that Blue should be a hero, or even human for that matter. My prior knowledge of this guy is based entirely on the much more recent "Young Justice" cartoon. If you can't read my chickenscratch at the side, don't worry, its just my way of jumping between trains of thought (something you might already be aware of if you've talked to me irl).
I'm pretty interested in the thought of a 1930's explorer in egypt idea, finds the scarab and gets cursed...or something. Another idea is an almost Kick Ass-ish teenage vigilante, though for an adult audience that may not be the right path to follow. Looking into scarabs and different types of beetles, different time settings/locations, age and gender of the BB, Dystopian post-apocalyptic future BB, incorporating the 60's version's chainmail  and goggles into the look, - And also remembering that he has a vehicle and gun to feature in also.   


-Sam




 (Unrelated blog running postit note:  I'll be setting all of the older posts as hidden/private so its clear what is my postgrad work.)
Sam Cuddy Artist

Alumni of Aberystwyth and Teesside Univeristies, now fulltime member of the Belfast Printworkshop. One day hopes to travel around Japan!

No comments:

Post a Comment